Monday, January 26, 2009

Someday there will be a wedding... (part 1)

This is a brand new blog, so I'll give you a little background on me and this whole wedding business.

My girlfriend and I have been moving toward marriage (or whatever equivalent of it we can legally get as a same sex couple) for some time. We started pretty vague - talking about how we wanted to spend our lives together, to grow old together.

Then she casually, in conversation, started to tell me she wanted to marry me. Not in an official, will-you-marry-me sort of way, but offhand - somewhere-in-the-undefined-future. Neither of us were in a place in life where we were ready to get married then, but it was something we both knew we wanted to happen.

But she'd gotten the idea in my head.

I'll admit it right up front, I am a crazy plan-ahead type person. Once I've gotten my teeth into something, I can't help but think about it and start working out details in my head. Suggest to me the barest possibility of a wedding, and I'm planning centerpieces, picking out a wedding party, and fantasizing about a location. Whoa. Probably not a good idea to plan out the whole wedding before we're even engaged.

But I couldn't let go of it. I wanted to start planning, start talking about our wedding. Maybe this is silly and overly traditionalist of me, but I thought we needed to be engaged before we started planning our wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment